Monday's Footy Gossip

Discuss the beautiful game.
Biff
Site Admin

Monday's Footy Gossip

Post by Biff »

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Wigan are on the verge of securing the services of Middlesbrough defender Matthew Bates. (Daily Mirror)

OTHER GOSSIP

After Everton dumped Manchester United out of the FA Cup in a penalty shoot-out, Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson is furious after referee Mike Riley turned down a penalty appeal. Following Phil Jagielka's tackle on Danny Welbeck in the box, Ferguson said about Riley: "When he sees it, he will probably realise he's made a mistake." (Various)

While Jagielka - who also scored the decisive spot-kick to seal victory - admits he initially did not want to take a penalty in the shoot-out. (Daily Mirror)

United striker Dimitar Berbatov reveals his excuses for missing his spot kick. The Bulgarian said: "I was looking for the keeper but at the last minute he took the place I was going for." (Various)

Other newspapers focused on Ferguson's rage being directed towards the Wembley pitch, echoing Arsenal's manager Arsene Wenger's criticism following their loss to Chelsea on Saturday. The United boss opted for a younger team after analysing the surface and said: "Looking at the pitch, it looked spongy and dead." (Daily Mail)

Away from the FA Cup, Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish is set to confirm his return to Anfield after he agreed personal terms with the club's American owners over an advisory role.(Various)

Liverpool co-owner George Gillet is on the hunt for extra investment of £350m in his sporting empire to avoid the need to sell some of his assets. (Daily Telegraph)

Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan wants Scotland's top clubs to pay £100m to join the English Premier League ahead of this week's meeting to discuss the proposal for a top-flight shake-up. (Daily Record)

Australia and Wales are set for an international battle over Middlesbrough's Rhys Williams. The defender was born in Perth but also has Under-21 Welsh caps. (Daily Mirror)

Leicester owner Milan Mandaric has likened his boss Nigel Pearson to Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson after the Foxes were promoted to the Championship. "Sir Alex started in the lower level and moved all the way up - so I can't see a reason why Nigel can't go all the way," stated Mandaric. (Daily Mail)

Aston Villa's Bulgarian international midfielder Stiliyan Petrov is set to sign a new three-year contract. (Daily Mirror)

AND FINALLY

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy was varnishing his garage at 6am on Saturday ahead of his side's 1-0 win over QPR, which secured the Molineux outfit's promotion to the Premier League. "I get a lot of pleasure out of DIY," he revealed. (Daily Express)