Red
25%
Blue
75%

Total votes: 12

Bigd

Need help deciding!

Post by Bigd »

Ok I am building a new computer and after countless hours of reading reviews and comparing prices etc I have landed on my final spec. Now I just need help choosing the LED colour of my case!

Blue: Image
Red: Image

Heres my plan:

Intel Quad core2.4ghz 8mb cache (Overclocked to 3.6ghz with best heatsink/fan)
MSI P35 Motherboard with heatpipe - very well reviewed
OCZ 4gb DDR2 PC6400 800mhz 4-4-4-15 Ram
Nvidia 8800gt 512mb BFG pre overclocked with hdmi port - lifetime warranty graphics - very well reviewed - performs better than gts and pretty much on par with GTX but for half the price
Samsung 500gb 16mb cache hdd - worlds fastest 7200rpm + silent
Samsung 20x Dual Layer SATA DVDRW with Lightscribe
Very well reviewed cool case in red or blue - http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa_blackline/
Hiper 580w Modular PSU (already own - cheap psu included in price for my old computer)

£576.02 (scan) + 154.25 (komplett) = £730.27 (Also included: 2-3days delivery, keyboard, hdmi cable, best thermal compound)
Ronaldinosa

Post by Ronaldinosa »

Neither , never seen the point myself
Last edited by Ronaldinosa on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wazza

Post by Wazza »

I think you missed the point Ron, he just wants to know: red or Blue? :P

I voted blue cos that's what I've got at the moment and it looks smart as fook. 8)
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Blue looks better but I'd still get Red :D

IMcured

Post by IMcured »

ive got both red& blue, the blue is very bright on mine so i usual have mine off for most of the time. and the red is mroe of a pink :/

lol

probably the make tho.
Bigd

Post by Bigd »

Not picking the case for its shiny disco lights lol I am picking it for its excellent cooling and inside design / features, and the fact that it is very quiet and comes with a temperature display built in to help me keep an eye on temps when overclocking.

At £63 it is exceptional value if you compare to other performance cases.

Plus its black and nice and shiney to match ps3 / samsung telly :)

The light choice is just a trivial dilema I need help with, both look stunning in my opinion.
Bigd

Post by Bigd »

The poll question should read Red or Blue :P Thats what i get for posting at 6am before going to bed :D
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I like the blue but the red shining out might make the room feel warmer than the blue.
Gilbretto
Site Admin

Post by Gilbretto »

I dont like that style of case. Its a bit space ship for my liking. UFO :o

I voted blue tho.

Quad core is pointless by the way. Save your money :wink:
Ronaldinosa

Post by Ronaldinosa »

as is 4GB ram
Bigd

Post by Bigd »

The Quad core is £30 more expensive than the dual core and currently gains an overall average of 5% performance gains which is pretty good. Matched with its future-proofing and the fact that so many games are following in the footsteps of Crysis and utilizing 4 core processors then that statement could not be more wrong. Not only does the quad core have twice as many cores, it also has twice the cache. The quad-core can offer the user advantages even if applications offer “only” dual-core support, namely when background processes take up additional CPU time.

Check here for a direct reliable comparison: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-E6750-Q6600-MSI-Gigabyte,review-29731-42.html

As for 4gb of ram, this is an ideal amount really for running vista (yes I know it has its flaws but they are getting fixed slowly and Direct X 10 is reason enough). Not to mention that to get really good quality fast 6400 low latency ram is £35 for 2gb and £70 for 4gb, its hardly breaking the bank to take the 4gb. Also Crysis and games around the corner make use of 4gb of ram so saying 4gb is pointless is wrong too.

Believe me I have spent about 30 hours minimum researching every single component right down to the tinniest of details :) (sad i know but I am obsessed with checking reviews on every single purchase). Everything in my build is very well reviewed and im only really taking the highest quality stuff, otherwise I could shave the price down.

Here is my final spec and price:

Intel Quad core 2.44ghz 8mb cache (Overclocked to 3.6ghz)
    Thermalright ULtra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink + 120mm Scythe 1600rpm 28dba 64cfm fan
    MSI P35 Motherboard with heatpipe - very well reviewed
    4gb DDR2 PC6400 800mhz 4-4-4-15 Ram
    Nvidia 8800gt 512mb BFG pre overclocked - lifetime warranty graphics
    500gb 16mb cache hdd Samsung - worlds fastest 7200rpm + silent
    20x Dual Layer SATA DVDRW with Lightscribe
    NZXT LEXA Blackline case in blue - very well reviewed(http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa_blackline/)
    OCZ 600w GameXtreme psu - rated 10/10
    Arctic Silver 5
    Black Keyboard

546.54 (scan) + 219.27 (md) = £765.81
(next day delivery to N.Ireland)

Beast of a spec if you ask me :) Comparing this to prebuilts, I seen systems on alienware etc that cost £1500-2400 to offer similar performance out of the box, so im very happy with my purchase and feel all in all its a bargain :)
Ronaldinosa

Post by Ronaldinosa »

Well as long as your happy thats the main thing

Never been a console man myself at all but after having experienced the lag free , graphically superb ps3 i dont think i'll bother ever building another super spec pc again . My next pc will be able to run Football manager and do the basics and thats about it
chrisb1986

Post by chrisb1986 »

im going to get one of those sex machines too :) got to be blue mate.... u get the red one and leave your comp on and fall asleep u will wake up thinking u have arouse in a very strange place
dont read my signature u chimp
Bigd

Post by Bigd »

yeh i went blue :)

Cheers for all the inputs guys.

And yeh the ps3 is class, very pickup and play with its easy lag free multiplayers.

Now all i need is to learn how to not get my ass handed to me every single fight by soot in Fightnight!
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

The spec looks good to me and the price doesn't look too bad either.