Germany v England Thread

Discuss the beautiful game.
Biff
Site Admin

Germany v England Thread

Post by Biff »

Franz Beckenbauer has apologised for his negative comments about the England team ahead of their World Cup second-round match against Germany.

He had accused England of going "back to the old days of kick and rush" and later suggested they were "burnt out."

But the Germany legend told BBC Sport: "I apologise, because I like England and I like English football.

"Maybe it was a reaction because I was disappointed [with England's performances] and maybe in a bad mood."

Beckenbauer, Germany's World Cup winning captain in 1974, added: "Before the World Cup I was convinced England would play a major role in the tournament and maybe win the title.

"They have a great team and a great coach - Fabio Capello is one of the most experienced coaches - and after the first two games I was so disappointed.

"In other words, I apologise and I look forward to the game on Sunday. I think it's going to be a very interesting game."

Beckenbauer also joked that he hoped Germany beat England on penalties, just as they did in the semi-finals of the 1990 World Cup - when he was their coach - and the 1996 European Championships.

He said: "For the fans, I hope for excitement - a draw, overtime, and then penalty kicks. And then, the Germans win. Sorry!"

England's failure to win their group means they take on Germany, who won Group D, rather than Ghana, with the victors potentially facing Argentina in the quarter-finals.

After England's 1-0 win against Slovenia on Wednesday, Beckenbauer was quoted as saying: "Stupidly, the English have slipped up a little by finishing second in their group.

"The English look a little tired... they are burnt out. We respect them but we certainly don't fear them."

Beckenbauer attacked England's style of play earlier in the tournament, but admitted they looked better in their final group match.

"England's first two appearances at the World Cup were paltry, but they improved against Slovenia," he told German newspaper Bild.

"What makes them dangerous is that their key players Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and John Terry sense that this could be the last chance in their career to win a World Cup. And after all, England have been waiting since 1966 for a title.

"After they failed to qualify for Euro 2008, England hit rock bottom. Fabio Capello appears to have brought discipline to the troops, [he] has brought in a new structure."

Beckenbauer added: "A game like this [England v Germany] should be a semi-final, not a last-16 game."

However, he believes the German players are fresher than England's, a situation he put down to the rigours of Premier League football.

"The Premier League players have got to play far more games than their Bundesliga colleagues, including two national cup competitions," added Beckenbauer, who scored one of West Germany's goals in a 3-2 quarter-final win against England in Mexico in 1970.

"Therefore, when it comes to a World Cup or a European Championships, they are burnt out. Our players, on the other hand, seem to be in a physically better condition."
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Re: Germany v England Thread

Post by skybluearmy »

Ridiculously nervous about this game now. Part of me knows those damn Germans are going to beat us on pens but part of me feels we could do it. Really don't know which way it will go, just please please please let it be us :D

The only way to get through tomorrow is to start on the beer at breakfast and keep drinking through the inevitable agony, come on England! :D
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

p.s i have a feeling I've just cost England the game by taking Podolski out of my fantasy league team, fully expect him to at least score one goal now.
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

Loves this video of Capello, check out the bit near the end with Stuart Pearce, classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8C2S59s ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

lol, i think, England just is on the way to find their performance. Actually its an ez job or Capello or Löw. You dont have to think about the motivation of the players.
Karl Heinz Rummenigge, what a man...
Rummenigge Rummenigge all night long !!!
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Brilliant vid of Capello, I didn't know he was that nuts!

I would say Germany are the favourites, they have put in a good performance at this World Cup where all our games have been crap. They also seem fresher and have been using the World Cup ball in the Bundesliga.
Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

Biff , do you mean that last sentence seriously?
England is deffo the favourite by the quality of their players, which they might only show in their club teams. But usually England should win this. Just compare the players. The only weakness is your keeper lol
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

On paper they aren't bad but they always play crap for England. Whenever we play the better nations we lose, like the recentish games against Spain and Holland. To be fair I wouldn't put Germany in the same bracket as them, but you still have a pretty good team that can actually play as a team.

Whoever wins it will be a near on impossible task to get to the final. Have we ever had a run of results beating Argentina, Spain then Brazil?
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

Player for player I don't think there are many Germany players that are better than the English players, maybe just the keeper, Ozil and Lahm. But the thing with Germany is their attitude/winning mentality. Us English seem to cave in a bit with the pressure of expectation, thats the bit that worries me most but think capello has worked hard at trying to fix that. Feeling nervous but reasonably confident at the moment. I predict 2 nil England (and I haven't started drinking just yet)
Eirik
Site Admin

Post by Eirik »

Lahm is totally overrated !
Özil is jsut a turkish scumbag and Neuer will fuck a game up pretty soon. He is way too overconvinced ...

But germans are germans and I fear they could go through today but I hope for an england win of course, or even better, they should go through on pens, would love that :D

3-1 england !

Or 1-1 and then pens win england !
Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

Ze Krauts win on Pens !!!
Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

The game is deffo a cracker lol so many chances now wtf
Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

Could someone fraps the score pls? lol
Effendi(GER)
Site Admin

Post by Effendi(GER) »

England, i cant hear ya lol
Soot

Post by Soot »

England are like PES, promise so much every time and yet shit in your face every time.