The Liverpool Thread

Discuss the beautiful game.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: The Liverpool Thread

Post by Biff »

A quote from the BBC 606 site about the Joe Cole signing and what someone thinks of his wages. :lol:
I love football, but it makes me sick to the stomach at the moment. It's like having a best friend who's turned out to be a rapist.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A71868289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Angaldus

Post by Angaldus »

Gerrard is staying just been confirmed :)
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I reckon it might have been different if Rafa stayed. Probably why they sacked him.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

More good news!
Roy Hodgson today confirmed that full-back Philipp Degen can look for a new club.

The Swiss international has struggled to make an impact since arriving at Anfield from Borussia Dortmund in July 2008.

"We have had an amicable conversation with Philipp and he wants to play football," Hodgson told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"We won't stand in his way and he is free to look for another club."
Rafa would have probably had him playing right wing next season.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Looks like Riera is going. I would have liked to see him stay.
Liverpool winger Albert Riera is close to joining Greek club Olympiakos.

The deal for the 28-year-old Spaniard will cost Olympiakos £3.3m, with Liverpool due another £1.6m if the Greek club win their domestic league.

Riera fell out of favour last season at Anfield after claiming that Liverpool was a "sinking ship" under former manager Rafael Benitez.

Riera, who has played for Spain, is expected to sign a four-year deal and will be paid a reported £2.1m a year.

"Unless there is a major surprise then he will be our player," said Olympiakos coach Ewald Lienen. "He is a great player who has proven his worth both at club level and for the Spanish national side."
Eirik
Site Admin

Post by Eirik »

3,3 m ???? Oh dear... Liverpool paid 10 m when they bought him... :roll:
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I think it was £8 million, still not a good return though. We always seem to let players go too cheaply. I rate Riera and think he could have been great with more of a run in the team. I guess Hodgson needs to cut the wage bill before he can bring in more players. He might be looking to replace him with someone more pacey, Ashley Young perhaps?
skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

Said £4.2m on SSN this morning, think you've done well to get that to be fair in this climate, he's pretty average and you obviously paid way over the odds in the first place.

Hodgson will sort you out, top manager.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Just saw this headline on the BBC:

"Young poised for Liverpool switch"

Unfortunately it's Luke Young!
Aston Villa defender Luke Young is on the verge of joining Liverpool, according to the player's agent.

Young's representative, Andy Evans, said the two clubs had agreed a fee and were discussing personal terms for the 31-year-old former England right-back.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill stated on Tuesday that an offer had been made by an unnamed club.

Liverpool would not confirm the bid, although Young has not travelled to Portugal for Villa's pre-season tour.

The full-back was made available for transfer in May and is believed to have been coveted by Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson when he was at Fulham during the 2009-10 season.

"There has been an offer from a football club which Luke is mulling over," O'Neill said.

Young joined Villa in summer 2008 from Middlesbrough in a £5m move and became a key performer in his first season at Villa Park.

Last season he suffered early injury problems and was later given compassionate leave after the death of his brother, with Carlos Cuellar cementing his position at right-back.

Liverpool have been weakened at the full-back position by the departure of Fabio Aurelio on a free transfer. The Reds have also released Switzerland international Philipp Degen.

Another full-back, Emiliano Insua, is still waiting to hear if a £5m move to Italian club Fiorentina will go through.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Solid, English, can play left back if needed - nothing that's gonna make me delirious but I'll take him for a cheap deal and a couple of seasons never the less.

Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Yeah, he's not bad but it would have been nice if it was Ashley Young.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

What a disgrace. Ngog is okay for European qualifiers but not the Premiership! It pains me to say Rafa would have probably done better. For a start Mascherano would have been playing.
Markey

Post by Markey »

There were rumors that he refused to play because he wants to leave, don;t know how much truth is there in it. But yeah Liverpool totally outplayed, City looks to have a right balance in the team. They got players with pace, players with strenght and many of them with good workrate. And most of all their bench looked good enough to play for most Premier League teams as Liverpool's bench little bit ordinary. Still you have to give your new manager some time to build and make them play they way he wants.
http://football-messiah.blogabet.com/

THE BEST IS YET TO COME !!!

THE LEGEND. THANK YOU PAOLO !
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Yeah, it looks like Mascherano is being a typical Argie mercenary. Apparently Inter's chairman told Roy Hodgson they didn't want him so I don't know where he will go? If nobody wants him he will look like a cock for refusing to play.
Angaldus

Post by Angaldus »

I wouldn't we were outplayed. Hart made some world class saves and you could tell City wanted it more. City only had 3 shots on target??? I think Roy tells his squad who playing a couple of days before so they can get them ready. So if Mascherano said he wasn't playing i think thats a spanner in the works! Torres is looking better and i feel we had our eyes on Thurs game