Driving Lessons

Chat about anything you like.
Rossi

Re: Driving Lessons

Post by Rossi »

Good luck fellas.

Just booked my best for next month, been ready for ages but been mad with uni (been pissed/hungover and in no shape to drive constantly) so only just round to doing it now I know when I'm free etc.

Haven't had a lesson in about a month either but I was fine after a gap last time so few lessons over next few weeks should be sound.

Drove my mates car the other night (literally just down the road) after I'd had a couple of drinks too, managed a perfect turn in the road and a successful roundabout, decent!

Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Good luck for Tomorrow Gav, you are the first out of us so it will be cool to hear how it goes.

That's not too bad if you've only just booked it Rossi, there was a waiting list of 10 weeks when I booked. I just hope I don't fail otherwise I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas to do it again.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Biff wrote:Good luck for Tomorrow Gav, you are the first out of us so it will be cool to hear how it goes.

That's not too bad if you've only just booked it Rossi, there was a waiting list of 10 weeks when I booked. I just hope I don't fail otherwise I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas to do it again.
I could've had it as early as the 11th that's like a few weeks, no waiting list at all, crazy considering when I actually wanted to book it months back I had to wait ages.

Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I think they must get more people booking in the Summer months. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long this time of year, well, hopefully I won't need to book another!
Gavster1987
Site Admin

Post by Gavster1987 »

Well I've had my test and I failed :(

Gutted! Because they were really silly mistakes that I wouldn't of done If I was so nervous.

6 Minors & 2 Major Fault

Annoying because my major fault was the I approached a junction too fast down a hill and I didn't expect the turn to be so close because It was blocked by parked cars and a pub to I had to harsh brake to slow down quick enough and forgot my mirror check as I slowed down.

Was really nervous but am glad I've got the experience now so hopefully the 2nd test shouldn't be too bad.

The independent driving isn't too bad but you really have to concentrate on all signs before you make your move as I was in the wrong lane which was a school boy error which cost me another major!

My test instructor said I need to work on my planning so its back to the drawing board and iron out the mistakes.

Good luck to you Biff & Rossi - Make PSL proud :)
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Gutted for you mate. There's a similar hill to that on the runs I do and on an earlier lesson I was belting down it and just about made the turn at the end, I now make sure I use the break more and keep better control. I've also done exactly the same thing with the lanes.

Now you know what to expect the next one should be less nerve wracking. I'm hoping I don't have any problems with nerves, I'm usually nervous about things beforehand but once I'm doing it I calm down. At the moment I'm not bothered about it at all, in fact I am raring to go. At the end of the day it's just £60 down the drain and a little wait before you can do it again! Also loads of people fail first time, the pass rate is only about 40%.

Had you covered the route before with your instructor? I'm pretty sure I've covered everywhere I am likely to go on my test. My instructor is quality, he's been doing it for years and must be about 70! I'm hoping I get the same independent driving route he gave me on my mock test the other day as it is reasonably simple.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

Two PLS'ers down and two failed. I got exactly the same as Gav, two major and 6 minor faults. The two majors were road signs and anticipation/planning. The first was trying to take the wrong exit on a roundabout and the other was waiting on a roundabout in the wrong position as traffic was backed up on it due to temp traffic lights and I didn't leave room for anyone coming out one of the exits. Gutted.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I've booked in another test for December 1st, I can see me fecking that too after today's nightmare.

When's your test Rossi?

Just a note for the independent driving shiz, if they give you diagrams to follow they bear no relation to the actual roads, they are not to scale and don't show all the junctions like a regular map. It's lucky I knew the roads he wanted me to take as they looked nothing like the real thing.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Fuck, unlucky. Pressures on me then!

Mine at the mo is 30th of Nov, but something's come up on the 29th so dont know if I'll change it if I can.

skybluearmy
Site Admin

Post by skybluearmy »

Unlucky Biff, stick at it
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I think you can change the date up until 5 days beforehand but will then have to wait another few weeks or so. I reckon you'll be okay, I would have been if it wasn't for the fact that I can't concentrate properly these days. Next time I'm having two Red Bulls and I'm not going to have an hour lesson first.
Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

My test was cancelled due to the fecking snow. Apparently they send you a new date within a week, so I haven't got a clue when my test will be. I guess there will be a serious backlog as there hasn't been any tests for the last four days.

Did you do yours on November 30th Rossi?
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

I had to change the date of it and put it back a week, it's on this coming Tuesday now, just want to get it done, don't think I'm gonna pass but I've been treading water for ages now wanna test myself properly.

Biff
Site Admin

Post by Biff »

I hope it went well. At least you wasn't over confident!

My neighbour's daughter had her test cancelled on the first day of snow and they've just booked her in for January so I'll probably be getting a similar date in the next couple of days. She failed first time too!
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Cancelled due to icy roads!

God knows when it'll be now :(